Monday 25 March 2013

Chocolatey Fudgey Goodness

Quite frankly, it would be rude to visit your gran on her Birthday without a ginormous chocolate fudge cake in tow, wouldnt it? When I was thinking of ideas all I could picture was Borris Bogtrotters cake in Matilda and I'm not going to lie I was salivating.  Whenever I've tried to make chocolate cake in the past it's always turned out either too bitter, too dry or not even taste like chocolate at all.  So in a time of crisis who else would you turn to other than good 'ol Nigella. You can find the recipe I used here, and provided you are dead on with your measuring (no guesstimating) then I guarantee you won't be disappointed.  My Gran was absolutely thrilled, although she's a bit cross with me for ruining her diet and shes on -12,000 weight watchers points for this week. YOLO.
 

The only alteration i made to the original recipe was the (secret ingredient, if you will) was 2 tablespoons of salted caramel sauce (from M&S) added to the chocolate buttercream.  That stuff is so darned delicious that you might find yourself plonked in front of the telly, jar in one hand and a spoon in the other, *cough*.  I bought the little fudge chunks on a whim the other day, just cause i really like fudge to be honest, but they turned out to be the perfect finishing touch.  I had a stab at being a little bit fancy too and swirled some of the salted caramel sauce on top too, get me. 



 

cake shenanigans aside, it was utterly lovely to see my Grandma and Grandad this weekend in their little caravan next to the sea (it's actually hanging off the edge of a cliff).  Since i had such a swell time i thought it add a few extra pictures too, i hope you don't mind :)

1)ladies and gents; my gran 2) a bit of light-hearted gambling 3)proper Grandma's house food 4)Nothing like a game of Monopoly to destroy a family 5)I love me a ham sandwich 6)speaks for it's self really :)
 
 
Cheers for reading boys and girls! Have a cracking week,
 
Louise 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that cake does look good! i'll have to try that recipe! :) x

Unknown said...

DO IT! so yummy :)